About Me

A mom of 4, I blog very rarely, and use this mostly for future memory of when I forgot to capture these events in a baby book somewhere.

Monday, February 16, 2009

Clarification

I've gotten a few comments about my last post. I in no way meant that I was bored. My point was to say that we do nothing, so there is nothing to post. I want to post more often, but I don't want to post just to post, so if there's nothing going on, then I just don't post anything. My life is no more boring now than it has ever been. I'm a stay-at-home mom who actually stays at home most of the time, mainly because it's winter so we don't get out much. That's life. That doesn't mean that I don't like it. (It does mean that I am desperately waiting for warm weather so we can go to the beach, and the pool, and to Adventure Island......)

So what's going on right now? Will is working on rhyming words. So every so often when he thinks of a new pair, he randomly tells me. The problem is he gets confused with rhyme being at the end of the word vs. beginning of the word. For example, he just told me that wall and waffle rhyme. So I told explained to him the difference, and realized that there is no word for words starting the same. So I told him we'd have to make one up. Any suggestions? I know it's probably of no use to any one else, but I still think it's important that he realizes which words start the same. I think it will be a big help with reading. So I will encourage this new thing he does.

Kirstine is in her high chair trying to feed her breakfast to Pop (her popples doll). We lost her Zeba this week. She still asks for him before and after every bed time, but she is doing a good job of finding other stuffed animals to replace him with. But we all miss him and hope we find him soon. (he IS in this house SOMEWHERE!!!)

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Actually there is a word for thet. When words begin with the same sounds they are called blends (or digraphs: 2- letters usually with l and r) and there are also three letter blends. That is very basic phonemic awareness and it is good that he hears those sounds at a young age. I actually think kids usually learn these first, before their rimes and rhymes. But I don't teach primary reading so this is what I remember from college. But it makes sense that he notices this. Usually you build words from beginning to end so it makes sense that he hears the initial position rather than at the end of the word.